Do you find you keep snacking during the lockdown while you are at home and close to the fridge & pantry?
Read our tips bellow to reduce your snacking so you don’t put on extra weight to make you slower on hills once we can ride outside again.
How to stop snacking:
- Ask yourself – am I hungry? Or am I bored or upset, stressed, lonely?
- Eat enough well balanced meals – half of plate vegetables, quarter plate protein, quarter plate carbs with fat. More about that in my next post.
- Drink plenty of water. You can add lemon juice or rooibos tea or sparkling water. Stay away from all soda drinks even the types of Coke Zero etc. Those are full of artificial sweeteners and it will only leave you crave more sugar.
- Keep yourself busy with work, reading, play with kids, do an art, etc.
- Exercise every day if possible. Now it always doesn’t need to be hard or long workout. 10 mins of core exercise or stretching on your rest day will help with blood flow and it will keep you feel good about yourself and healthy.
- Regular exercise makes you want to eat healthy meals and not junk food. Treat your snacks like a meal. Try to solely eat when you snack. Put it on a plate, sit at the table, put away your phone, stop working, and just pay attention to the food you’re eating and enjoy it! Being more intentional around your snacks (and meals) will help you recognize when you’re full, therefore helping to keep your snacking in check.
- Brush your teeth. Trust me on this one. Sometimes when you have leftover flavors in your mouth you continue to crave them.
Control the environment:
- If you can’t stop, it might be time to take drastic measures. Stop buying those snacks you cannot resist eating! You cannot eat what is not there. It may seem obvious, but storing snack foods out of sight or in hard-to-reach places can be helpful too. Out of sight, out of mind.
- If you notice that there are certain activities when you always end up mindlessly snacking (watching TV, putting away dinner leftovers, post-baking cookies). You may need to change your pattern.